SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which refers to optimising a website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). SEO is essential for artists because it can help them reach a wider audience, attract more visitors to their website, and ultimately sell more artwork.
People who search for artwork online typically use search engines like Google or Bing. If an artist’s website is optimised for relevant keywords and appears high in the search results, there is a better chance that potential buyers will find and visit their website. By optimising their website for search engines, artists can improve their online visibility and attract more organic traffic.
SEO also helps artists establish their online presence and credibility. If their website ranks high in search results, it can give potential buyers the impression that they are professional and established artists. Additionally, having a well-optimized website can lead to more backlinks and mentions from other websites, further improving their search engine ranking and online reputation.
How can you improve SEO on your website:
- Research keywords: Start by researching the keywords your target audience will likely search for when looking for artwork. Use tools like Google Keyword Planner or Moz Keyword (they give you a 30-day complimentary test) Explorer to identify high-traffic, relevant keywords for optimising your site. For example, “original oil paintings for sale”, “oil painting artists”, and “contemporary oil paintings”.
- Optimise page titles and descriptions: Every page on your site should have a unique, descriptive title and meta description that includes your targeted keywords. These elements appear in search results and should be compelling and informative. Examples include “Original Oil Paintings for Sale by Original Artists” and a meta description such as “Discovery a wide selection of high-quality, hand-painted oil paintings for sale by talented contemporaneous artists. Free shipping and easy returns.”
- Create high-quality content: Your website should have high-quality, relevant, and informative content that targets your desired keywords. Regularly publishing blog posts or articles that showcase your art or provide information about art-related topics can help attract visitors and improve your search engine ranking. Examples: publish a blog post such as “The History of Oil Painting: from Van Gogh to Today’s Contemporary Artists” or “How to Choose the perfect oil painting for your home décor”. These posts should be informative, engaging, and optimised for target keywords.
- Use header tags: Use header tags (H1, H2, H3) in your content to help search engines understand the structure of your pages and identify the main topics of each section. For example: Use H1 tags for the main title of each page and H2 and H3 tags for subheadings. A page showcasing a specific artist’s oil paintings could have an H1 tag saying “Lucy Smith”: Contemporary Oil Paintings” and H2 tags for each painting series.
- Optimise images: Use descriptive, keyword-rich file names and alt tags for your photos. This helps search engines understand the idea and can improve your chances of appearing in image search results. Example: use descriptive file names and alt tags such as “Lucy Smith Blue Abstract Oil Painting”. Or “Contemporary Oil Painting of Cityscape at Night”. These tags should describe the content of the image and include relevant keywords.
- Build backlinks: Backlinks, or links from other websites to your site, are crucial to SEO. Reach out to art bloggers or websites and ask if they would be willing to link to your site. Offer to write guest posts or provide them with high-quality images of your paintings for a link.
- Use social media: Social media can be a powerful tool for driving traffic to your website and improving your search engine ranking. Share your artwork and blog posts on social media and encourage others to share them. Use Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Encourage your followers to share your posts to reach a wider audience.
Remember that SEO is an ongoing process, so regularly monitor your website’s performance and adjust as needed. Following these steps can improve your website’s visibility and attract more visitors interested in your art.